Tuesday, March 11, 2008

For the Kids (not Kill)








Two weekends ago (Feb. 29 into Mar. 1st), my high school held it's annual Four Diamonds Thon. About 250 students, staff, and parents stayed up from 7 pm until 7 am raising money and fighting for a cure for the kids. Honestly, I was exhausted and sick and didn't feel good, but I stayed the whole night to show my support for young kids and their families struggling to fight cancer.

The idea of being there for a cause and a reason seemed to slip the minds of most of my high school colleagues. A competition to win the Thon War was more important. I mean, sure, we all cared who got the most points, who was winning, and getting the "Class of 20_ _" plate on the Thon War plack. But what's ridiculous is the fact that some kids became so consumed with the possibility of winning the title that they forgot what they were fighting for; the kids!

I thought it was ridiculous when so many kids were so consumed on how well their fellow classmates were doing at "plinko" and what competitions they were winning. It became a war between the Juniors and Seniors and that's all that anyone cared about- who was in the lead and who might win. And sure, I put in my two cents and wanted to win, but I didn't let it consume me or destroy my whole reasoning on why I was pushing myself to stay there even though I knew I would highly regret for the next four days. (I did get horribly sick and stayed home from school for two days and felt like crap, but hey- it happens.)

I guess just what bothers me about this whole situation doesn't specifically pertain to high schools. People anywhere and everyone will lose the concept and motivation to win and make it completely about themselves and their reputation. It's ridiculous. It was for the Kids, not the Kill or the Win.

2 comments:

Mervin said...

It's kind of disappointing that there are so many people out there that turn everything into a competition and start to lose focus of the "Why?" they are doing something.

But then again, you can always look on the flip side and thank them for at least being there regardless of the fact that they lost the true meaning. Their bodies may be there but their hearts aren't.

P.S. I'm glad you're still representing the Death Cab.

Brittany said...

I know next Tuesday will not come soon enough!